Many people look forward to beginning a new running regime. This can range from running as a form of exercise to training for a marathon. Preventing running injuries is crucial in keeping the enjoyment in running, and this can be done in various ways. It is important to incorporate warming up and cooling down as part of the running routine, in addition to slowly increasing mileage and speed. This can give the body a chance to become stronger, possibly reducing the risk of having a running injury. On the days when running is not done, many people appreciate the benefits of performing a strength training routine that can enhance the entire body. Eating a balanced diet and getting adequate amounts of sleep can help to keep the body strong in preparation for running. Cardiovascular health may be improved by performing low impact activities, such as swimming and cycling, and this may help to enhance running. If you would like additional information about how to prevent running injuries, it is suggested that you speak with a podiatrist.
Exercising your feet regularly with the proper foot wear is a great way to prevent injuries. If you have any concerns about your feet, contact Matthew McQuaid, DPM of Lake Mendocino Podiatry. Our doctor will treat your foot and ankle needs.
How to Prevent Running Injuries
Many common running injuries are caused by overuse and overtraining. When the back of the kneecap starts wearing out and starts causing pain in your knee, this is commonly referred to as runner’s knee. Runner’s knee is a decrease in strength in your quadriceps and can occur if you’re not wearing properly fitted or supporting shoes. To prevent runner’s knee, focusing on hip strengthening is a good idea, as well as strengthening your quads to keep the kneecaps aligned.
What Are Some Causes of Running Injuries?
- One cause of a common running injury is called iliotibial band syndrome.
- Plantar fasciitis is also another common injury.
- Stress fractures can occur from overtraining, lack of calcium, or even your running style.
Best Ways to Prevent Running Injuries
- Wear footwear that fits properly and suits your running needs.
- Running shoes are the only protective gear that runners have to safeguard them from injury.
- Make a training schedule. Adding strengthening exercises as well as regular stretching can help keep you strong and limber and can lessen the possibility of injuries.
- Stretching keeps muscles limber; this will help you gain better flexibility.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact our offices located in Lakeport and Ukiah, CA . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.